Monday, July 14, 2008

Dr. Michael DeBakey:

As only one of some 70 years - worth of orderlies could remember him! I.



That's right!

Because there would have been literally thousands of us crossing his path over that stretch of time.

Each with his own unique impressions.

Throughout much of late October to late November of 1971, I was picking up some extra money at the Houston Methodist Hospital 's Cardio - Vascular OR.

I knew, and cared less, what I was going to be doing.

I needed some bucks.

Period!

Boy, did that ever change.

Mops and buckets were not all that was involved, by no means.

We learned the fine art of holding up some luckless sucker's leg while DeBakey team members Doctors Crawford and Martin did their legendary thing.

The trick, as my Port Arthur partner told me, was this: "Lean into it, just don't let them see you straining while do'in, hear?"

Meanwhile, Doctors Crawford and Martin would be saying crazy - sounding things to each other like:

"So! Do you wanna go ahead and put the goop on now?"

And the answer would be:

"Naw. Let's do the other jazz first."

Meanwhile Dr. DeBakey would be running from one OR to the adjoining one, carefully overseeing everyone and everybody....

And from this brand - new orderly's point of view?

After that first, traumatic day shift, things just kept getting better....!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home