Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"UTEP Bookstore: the last resort"

The UTEP Prospector's Ms. Vanessa Juarez has the story.

¡Adelante, Vanessa!


Snippet from her article published online Wednesday, June 23, 2010.


"The woman at the UTEP bookstore checkout counter was angry.

"By angry, I don't mean mildly perturbed, no, I mean she was livid.

"Sometime last week, my appetite and I made our way to the UTEP bookstore for a bag of chips and an over -priced bagel sandwich.

"As I stood in line to pay, I couldn't help but overhear this woman as she complained to several bookstore employees about their book return and refund policy.

"Apparently, this particular student had already bought the book and was now asking to return it and get her money back.

"I left, jalapeño chips in hand, before I could hear how the situation was resolved, but the entire incident got me thinking about the us- versus - them attitude that I think most students have toward the UTEP bookstore.

"For one, the bookstore's textbook prices are easily the highest and almost any other bookseller to offer the same book for a much lower price.

"With websites like Amazon.com, eBay and Chegg.com, it's easier and cheaper for students to simply order their books ahead of time and often pay $20 to $30 less than what the UTEP bookstore is asking for.

"Additionally, the bookstore's return policy makes it seemingly impossible to get a refund for an unneeded book..."

Good points Vanessa! :)


¡Ora, UTEP!

¡Ora, MEChA!

¡Adelante, Destino!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home