Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"I was left to care for our house while everyone else went to visit the Morony family ..."


A random snippet from Father Ted Pfeifer, O.M.I's personal memoir When the Wolves Came...

"Another time, my sisters Mary Alice and Colleen were in college and were traveling by bus to Pharr, about four miles from Alamo.

"I was left to care for our house while everyone else went to visit the Morony family.

"The typewriter had always attracted my attention.

"It belonged to my grandfather, who was justice of the peace in San Juan.

"He had loaned it to my sisters to practice.

"When everyone returned home in the evening, they found the typewriter ribbon scattered over the floor.

"I had been home alone, so the conclusion was evident.

"I don't recall what punishment I received for this, but rats frequently lived in the rafters.

"One day, as Dad and I were killing the rats, we found a big nest, and it was lined with typewriter ribbon.

"But I wasn't always so fortunate to have such a good excuse.

"In 1941, I was nine years old.

"I was in the fourth grade at St. Joseph's Catholic School in Alamo..."*

*I graduated from there in May of 1962; ours' was the last class to do so ...

Man! This story just keeps on getting better and better! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home