Tuesday, August 30, 2011

GottesMutter!?

"I remember my shock, as an Evangelical student...

"... when I heard a
German Catholic friend refer to Mary as
GottesMutter..."


Snippet from Father Dwight Longenecker's article Mother Goddess or Mother of God? In Catholic Answers magazine, September - October 2011.

As he continues ...

"The phrase means, Mother of God, but in my ignorance of the German language I thought he was calling Mary Goddess mother.

"It confirmed my suspicion that Catholics worshiped Mary as the mother goddess.

"It turned out I was wrong not only about the German language but about Catholic beliefs regarding Mary the Mother of Jesus..."

Father's conclusion some magazine pages later:

"The pagan mother goddesses were, therefore, hints and guesses of the true Mother of God and Queen of Heaven.

"They were imperfect pointers and foreshadowings of the young Jewish girl from Nazareth from whom God would be born, and who, therefore, is rightly called the Mother of God, the Mother of the Church, and the mother of us all..."

We're told re Father Dwight:

Visit his Web site at:

www.dwightlongenecker.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home