Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"... so I often recommend St. Francis to those who proclaim the Word of God..."


Saint Francis of Assisi's approach to homilies as quoted by Father Brian Cavanaugh, T.O.R.


This snippet from the Homiletic & Pastoral Review -- December 2010.

Here's a couple of Saint Francis' soundbites on homily preparation:

"Most High, Glorious God, enlighten the darkness of my heart, and give me right faith, certain hope and perfect charity, wisdom and understanding, Lord, that I may carry out your holy and trues command."

To which this "son of Francis" adds on his own account:

"As a son of Francis, my experience of preaching is from within the tradition of the friars, Third Order Regular, so I often recommend St. Francis to those who proclaim the Word of God..."


Now, St. Francis opines as to what preachers must do:


"The preacher must first draw from secret prayers what he will later pour out in holy sermons; he must first grow hot within before he speaks words that are in themselves cold..." (1)


END NOTE:



(1) St. Francis of Assisi: Omnibus of Sources, ed., Thomas Celano, "The Remembrance of the Desire of a Soul: Second Life" (Chicago: Franciscan Herald Press, 1973), 493, Art. 163...

See also Father Brian's "Apple Seeds."

If you can find 'em, I didn't! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home