Sunday, January 29, 2006

SO JUST WHAT IS THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT EL PASO, POLICE AND SECURITY WISE, AS AN ALL-AMERICAN UNIVERSITY?

AS OPPOSED TO, SAY, A EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY?


Source: John W. Powell, Michael S. Pander and Robert C. Nielsen's Campus Security and law Enforcement, 2nd. Edition. Newton, Masachusetts: Butterworth-Heinemann, 1994.

First, let's look at what exactly an all-American university is in terms of being a political entity, o.k.? O.K.!

Vartan Gregorian, President, Brown University, interview with Rolling Stone, March 21, 1991:

"The problem you're facing on our campuses is whether we're running an educational institution or whether we're running communities .... But we have become small city-states now. I have my defense force - 50 policemen. I have my barracks - 5,000 rooms. My dietitians. My psychiatrists. My physical health services.

"[F]or the first time these people come together from different backgrounds, different cultures, different habits, different religious convictions, and they have to accomodate each other for four years, and there's a great deal of tension.

"The president of the Sorbonne - if there is a rape on his campus, it's a civil matter and has to go directly to the police. Here [Throughout the entire good 'ole USA], we are running almost like Aristotelian cities, a polis of between 5,000 and 50,000 people. I pay over two million for security. If I'm president of the Sorbonne, I would not spend a penny."

In order: top of pages 217, 241 and 247.

SO, WHAT IS UTEP'S UNIVERSITY POLICE BUDGET?

Source: The University of Texas as El Paso 2004-2005 Budget.

Answer: $1,428,107

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home