Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Pope St. Pius X [1903-1914]:

"His firsthand story of a leftwing radical priest!"


BE IMMOVABLE IN YOUR PRINCIPLES, BUT EXTEND YOUR CHARITY TO ALL MEN, EVEN THE WORST ENEMIES OF THE CHURCH


As the Italian author Igino Giordani tells in his book Pius X: A Country Priest, translated into English by the Rt. Rev. Thomas J. Tobin, Milwaukee: The Bruce Publishing Company, 1954, pages 182-183, "The Cistercian Abbot, Dom J. B. Chautard, relates that an eminent layman, during an audience with Pius X, called a certain enemy of the Church a harsh name.

"My son, remonstrated the Pope. I do not approve of your language. As a punishment, listen to this story. A priest whom I knew well, having taken over his first parish, thought it his duty to visit all the families there, including Jews, Protestants and Freemasons, and announced from his pulpit that he would make such visits every year. There was consternation among his fellow priests, some of whom reported the matter to the Bishop.

The Bishop sent for the accused priest and admonished him sharply. Monsignor, humbly replied the priest, Jesus, the Good Shepherd said, 'I have other sheep, too, which do not belong to this fold; I must bring them in, too. (Jn. 10:16).' But how can this be done without going in search of these other sheep? Besides, I never compromise on principles and I limit myself to indicating my interest in all souls that God has entrusted to me and my love for all of them. I have already announced these visits from my pulpit but if it is your formal wish that I do not make them, please give me such prohibition in writing so that my people will know that I am simply obeying your orders.

Impressed by the correctness of the priest's position, the Bishop dropped the matter.

For that matter, the outocme showed the priest to have been right, for he had the joy to convert some of those outsiders and he elicited from all of them a great respect for our holy religion.

That lowly parish priest, by the will of God, is now the Pope who gives you my son, this lesson in charity. Be immovable in you principles, but extend your charity to all men, even the worst enemies of the Church."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home