Monday, August 27, 2007

"[Eleven year old] Rogelio struggles to understand his family's religious beliefs"

By Rogelio Mariscal, 11.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"¡Ora, UTEP! "

"Welcome back to campus, Fall 2007, everyone!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Adapted from the above article by el joven señor Rogelio in the San Antonio EXPRESS - NEWS, Sunday August 26, 2007.

"I can't celebrate my birthday because of my religion.

"I don't know why but I can't explain, so I can't write it.

"It does not matter.

"My favorite subjects are math and science.

"I like math because it is so easy to do.

"I like science because it's very fun and osmetimes it's kind of boring.

"I know it's great to know the greatest subject in the world.

"I read a lot.

"I think I will keep reading and be a good reader someday.

"I like to read books about prehistoric creatures.

"I want to go to college but my parents won't let me because they say it's not important because whoever is with the world is going to be destroyed.

"They want me to be with them and to be a Jehovah's Witness.

"I am second generation and I will be a Jehovah's Witness.

"The history of my family is when ....

"... they were in Mexico and my mom became friends with my dad's sister.

"They met each other and my mom got in love with him.

"Then they got married.

"They had me, the big one and then my little brother and then my little sister and that's the history.

"My chores are to clean my room ...

".... and mop the house.

"They are kind of boring because I am kind of lazy sometimes but I'm worth it.

"I am so good at this stuff.

"If there's a fire and I had to get three things I would get my Play - Station, my computer and my portable DVD player: I want to keep my computer because it reminds me of my family.

"My school is very different than other schools because there are more bullies.

"At lunch, our teacher tells us to line up in a single file.

"I go inside and get my ticket 'cause it's free lunch and it's good to have free lunch.

"I don't dream anything.

"I used to have nightmares like a giant monster is following us and destroyed the whole city, even me.

"I don't have dreams anymore.

"In 10 years, I'll be right here in San Antonio, with my family, being a Jehovah's Witness."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home