Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Mijo, no creas que nomás nosotros ganamos la guerra"

Adapted from: a submission by Señor Juan J. Torres to The San Antonio EXPRESS - NEWS, Letters to the Editor section, Tuesday, September 25, 2007.

The above quote is from his uncle, a WW II veteran.

Juan had asked his uncle "if all Mejicanos were brave during the war?"

And the uncle responded as above: "Son, don't believe that only we won the war.

"There were a lot of Anglo boys and other races that were very brave and just, and to this day I still respect all of them for how well they served our country."

Torres goes on to relate:

"When I served with the Army in Vietnam, I found my uncle's statement to be true -- there are good and just men in all races in any war, and life as well.

"I greatly respect [critics of Burn's WW II PBS documentary], but I cannot boycott the PBS miniseries The War.

"I agree Hispanics have been snubbed because of the program's omission of their service during the war, but my indignation is not enough to overcome the respect I have for soldiers whose stories are being told -- regardless of race.

"May future documentaries reflect all soldiers' contributions to our country."

JUAN J. TORRES

Amen to all that, brother !!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home