Monday, May 12, 2008

"Above all, don't tell me that Christianity is true. That upsets me.."

Source: Retired Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini, in the Jesuit magazine, America, May 12, 2008.

In discussing what he calls "Teaching the Faith in a Postmodern World," the cardinal says, regarding the attitude he finds prevalent today:

"There is acceptance of every form of dialogue and exchange because of a desire to be always open to another and to what is different....etc...etc..

"That is why Christianity is not easily accepted when it presents itself as true religion.

"I recall a young man who said to me recently":

Above all, don't tell me that Chirtsianity is true.

That upsets me, that blocks me.

It's quite something else to say that Christianity is beautiful...

The cardinal then sums up the young man's attitude thusly:

"Beauty is preferable to truth."

¡Guau! Wow! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home