Thursday, May 29, 2008

"Theology Lecture 3: The Practice of the Eucharist in the Apostolic Church"

Adapted from this article in the current edition of "Inside the Vatican," May 2008. By Stephen Pimental.

"The Eucharist As Tradition"

"Paul relates that he received and delivered the doctrine of the Eucharist as Sacred Tradition (I Cor. 11:23).

"Christ not only instituted the Eucharist, but instructed his disciples to celebrate it in remembrance of me (I Cor. 11:24) so as to renew the covenant he had established.

"The Eucharist is not merely a subjective remembering of Christ's death and Resurrection but a sacred anamnesis of those events (I Cor. 11:26), a covenantal renewal that makes really present his body and blood.

"Therefore, to partake of communion unworthily is to make oneself guilty of sacrilege (I Cor. 11:27-29)."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home